At Fawbert and Barnard’s, pupils are immersed in English throughout their day. It is a key skill for life to be able to read and write and we want everyone to leave here able to do that to the best of their ability.
- Develop a rich vocabulary through reading quality texts and making the link from reading to writing.
- Write for different purposes and have an element of choice about how they write, making sure there is a clear purpose.
- Be exposed to quality and engaging texts and select books from a wide range of authors.
- Develop stamina for writing and be able to write independently for longer periods of time.
- Develop grammar skills through being taught age appropriate grammar within the context of English.
- Become fluent readers and read for pleasure as well as purpose.
- Be inspired to write through maximising opportunities to write from first-hand experience.
- Be inspired to learn through enthusiastic teaching and effective modelling of key skills.
- Communicate their ideas effectively through using appropriate speaking and listening skills.
- Apply what they have learnt in English to other areas of the curriculum and make appropriate links.