Skip to content ↓

Fawbert & Barnard's Primary School

Learning for Life

SEN information report

June 2017

School Ethos for SEND 

Our school provides a broad and balanced curriculum for all children. Through our own school curriculum, the National Curriculum and the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice, we plan to meet the specific needs of individuals and groups of children. Teachers set suitable learning challenges and respond to children’s diverse learning needs. Some children have barriers to learning, which may mean they have special needs and require particular action by the school.

Who should I contact about my child’s Additional Needs? 

The first point of contact for any concerns should be the class teacher. If concerns continue the teacher may then refer you to the SENCo.

SENCo – Mrs Gemma Higgs

The SEN Governor is Mrs Sandra Newens. She can be contacted through the School office. The SENCo is available at Parent/Teacher consultations to discuss progress of children.

Parents can contact or make an appointment to see the SENCo at any convenient time if they have a concern or need advice, but the initial point of contact would be the class teacher.

The SENCo attends multi-agency meetings with parents if invited by them.

Parents of children who have a statement/Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP) are invited to discuss their child’s progress at the Annual Review.

Parents of children who have a statement/EHCP are invited to discuss transitional provision with the potential secondary school at a Transitional Review.

How will my child be involved? 

Children on the SEN register have a communication passport, which is created in partnership with the pupil, parents and school.

Children on the SEN support register are made aware of the targets set and are informed about their progress on a regular basis. Communication passports are discussed with the child so he/she is aware of targets set and any interventions involved to achieve them. Pupils are then invited to make a contribution to the child view section of either the communication passport or One Plan.

Pupils with statements/EHCP will also have a One Plan. This is produced at a meeting involving the pupils, parents and various professionals working with the pupil from both Health and Education. The communication passport will inform the One Plan.

Communication passports and One Plans are reviewed termly.

Annual review meetings are held for children with an EHCP to review outcomes and set new targets and determine strategies to improve attainment. Pupils record their views about school on the pupil view section of the paperwork and are invited to discuss their achievements at the start of the Annual Review meeting.

Pupils with SEN are given equal opportunities to participate in all school activities and roles of responsibility. 

What If I am not happy with school provision for my child’s additional needs? 

The procedure for complaints can be viewed on the school website and hard copies are available on request. We operate an open door policy to meet with parents to discuss any concerns.

How can I find out ABOUT existing local services? 

Click here to be taken to the Essex local offer website.

How does the school know if my child needs extra help? 


Triggers for receiving help at SEN Support level include the concern of parents, teachers or others (including specialist support) backed by evidence that despite a differentiated curriculum and school based interventions over a long period:

  • Child is making little or no progress in English or Maths
  • Child has persistent emotional and social difficulties
  • Child has sensory or physical problems and is making little or no progress despite specialist equipment
  • Child is still working at EYFS/ National Curriculum assessments well below his or her age group
  • Child‘s behaviour substantially and regularly interferes with his or her learning and that of the class despite an individualised behaviour management programme
  • Child has ongoing communication/interaction difficulties which are impeding social relationships and learning
  • The child may have a difficulty, which needs further investigation or assessment either through the school or external bodies.


In line with the Code of Practice 2014 section 9.8, the following people can request an EHCP:

  • Young person (over the age of 16 or an advocate on their behalf)
  • The child’s parent
  • Person acting on behalf of the school

Section 9.1 states that the Local Authority must conduct an assessment and prepare an EHC plan if:

SEN provision cannot be provided from within the resources normally available to mainstream, Early Years Providers and Schools.

This should not be the first step in the process; rather it should follow on from previous planning (One Plan). EHC plans must be focused on the outcomes of the child and must set out how services will work together to support their needs.
An assessment may not always lead to an EHCP.

How will the school support my child? 

The delivery of the provision for children with learning difficulties can take place in the normal classroom setting and is the responsibility of the Class Teacher. Teacher planning includes differentiated work for children with SEN and effective deployment of Teaching Assistants (TAs) and Higher Level Teaching Assistants (HLTAs).

If a pupil has specific needs such as spelling, handwriting, Maths, English and social skills etc. then the pupil will be placed in a small focussed group or 1:1 run by the Class Teacher or TA. Progress is continuously monitored and reviewed at regular intervals through the term.

Intervention groups are provided for pupils who need a particular area of the curriculum targeted. Groups run for a period of 6-12 weeks and may include children on the SEN register.

Depending on the nature of the child’s difficulties, he or she may also be taken out for specialised, in-school programmes. These may include: additional Phonics, Socially Speaking, Smart Thinking, Lego Therapy, Gym Trail, Acceleread/Accerlerwrite, Inference Training, EAL support and Speech and Language support.

Occasionally a child may visit outside therapy clinics in order to access specialised support. Parental permission is granted to access this.

At present children with special educational needs have the opportunity to access the following external agencies: Specialist Teaching, Educational Psychologists, Paediatricians, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Speech and Language Therapists, Counsellors, Home/School Liaison, Health Visitors, School Nurses, Hospitals, Optometrists and other specific professionals who may provide general advice, specialist assessments or advice on different strategies or materials.

The SENCo makes referral to appropriate outside agencies to aid the child’s needs where appropriate and when assessment has indicated a need.

The SENCo liaises regularly with outside agencies where appropriate where an assessment has indicated a need e.g. Paediatricians, GPs, Specialist Teachers, Educational Psychologists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Speech Therapists, Speech and Language support workers and technicians, Counsellors, School nurses, Home/School liaison, Health visitors.

Specialist resources are used to aid learning across the school where assessment has indicated a need e.g. lower ability reading books, sand timers, visual timetables, left handed scissors, pencil grips, colour paper for pupils with Dyslexic tendencies, writing slopes, iPads and Talking Postcards.

Further specific specialist equipment is bought or hired according to the needs of the children, and as recommended.

The school offers a wide variety of support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties. These include: A trained HLTA, Home/School Liaison worker, Counsellor. Members of staff such as the Class Teacher, TAs and SENCo are readily available to discuss issues and concerns.

Alternative arrangements are available for children who find lunchtime a challenge.

What training have the staff supporting children with SEN had or are having? 

The SENCo attends regular updated training in specific SEN areas as well as attending regular cluster and update meetings to ensure the school is kept up to date with current legislation and guidance.

TAs are employed and trained to support special needs children in all classes, and support during lunch and play times where appropriate.

TAs run interventions targeting identified priority areas of need. These interventions are monitored to ensure they have impact.

Teachers and TAs have attended courses on a range of areas including Speech and Language, EAL, Autism, Promoting Independence, Precision Monitoring, Phonics, Behaviour, and Reading Support.

Through an annual programme of professional development, all staff have regular opportunities to update skills and knowledge to ensure they can meet the specific needs of current children’s attainment. 

How will the school know how my child is doing? 

The SENCo assesses children for Specific Learning Difficulties when concerns are highlighted by teachers. Short-term targets are taken directly from the children’s communication passport and monitored.

Multi agency meetings are held to analyse progress made and determine the way forward for children who have involvement with multiple outside agencies.

Annual review meetings are held for children with an EHCPs to review progress, set new targets and determine strategies to improve attainment. Parental/child reviews are shared and documented.

Progress and attainment data is monitored on a termly basis and discussed with Class Teachers. In class, teachers plan and differentiate the curriculum appropriately for each child.

Lessons are observed by the senior leadership team against Teacher Standards. Planning and pupils’ work are monitored and moderated. 

How will i know how my child is doing? 

Communication passports and One Plans will be reviewed termly and copies of all documents sent home. Annual Reviews will take place once a year.
You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parent/Teacher consultations. Appointments can also be made to speak in more detail to the teacher and SENCo.

What extra resources are available for my child? 

Resources may include deployment of staff depending on individual circumstances.

Specialist resources are used to aid learning across the school. E.g. lower ability reading books, sand timers, behaviour charts with stickers and rewards, visual timetables, traffic light faces, playground passes, left handed scissors, pencil grips, dyslexia friendly reading books, writing slopes, iPads and Talking Postcards.

Further specific specialist equipment is bought or hired according to the needs of the children, as and when they arise and recommended by outside agencies.

How accessible is the school environment? 

Some toilets are adapted for disabled users and wide doors are in some parts of the building.

There is a ramp to the foundation stage and Year 1 classrooms. All other classrooms have disabled access with the exception of Year 6. There are slopes leading to the main field to enable easier access to that area of the school.

Individual Care Plans can be put in place for children with specific needs.
The Head Teacher and Governors review the Accessibility Plan regularly. 

What specialist services used by the school can I contact? 

At times it may be necessary to seek advice from outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise. These may include:
Autism Anglia
Early Advice Hub (Child Protection)
Educational Psychologist (parent helpline)
Emotional Wellbeing & Mental Health Service (previously known as CAMHS) – phone school
EWO (Educational Welfare Officer)
Social Care
Speech and Language Therapy
Occupational Therapy
Community Paediatricians
School Nurse
Parent partnership

Click Here to find further contact information. 

How will the school prepare and support my child during transition? 


Where children are transferring to Secondary School, the SENCo will meet SENCos of each secondary school to transfer SEN information. All SEN school records will be passed on to secondary school or any other school the child may transfer to regardless of whether the child has been removed from the register or is borderline to go on to the register. Future schools have a right to know the history of a child including any previous strategies used in case transition onsets any problems.

Parents of children who have a statement/EHCP are invited to discuss transitional provision with the potential secondary school at a Transitional Review.

Some extra visits may be arranged for SEN children in Summer term prior to transition to secondary school.