Notices & Reminders
The children had such a fantastic time on the trip today. I have put a few photos in the gallery for you to see.
Due to a change in coach collection time we expect to return to school between 3.30 and 3.45 now (depending on traffic).
As part of our Science work on seasonal changes we will be going on a wellie walk on Thursday 18th October. Please can you send in suitable footwear such as wellie boots on this day.
London trip notices
Below are a list notices about our trip on Thursday.
1. We will be getting on the coach at 9am to depart for London therefore children need to be at school for their usual start time in their normal school uniforms.
2. Please can you ensure your child goes to the toilet at home before they come to school. We will not have time to get everyone to go to the toilet before we leave at 9am.
3. Once we arrive at London we will have our snacks - this will be the fruit from school that the children usually have.
4. Children will eat their lunch aboard the boat during our 70 minute trip on the river. Please can you put their lunch be in a disposable carrier bag (if you are providing one from home) so that once eaten, we can dispose of all packaging. Children can bring water bottles if you so wish but it will be the child's responsibility to look after it and carry it at all times so I suggest the children have disposable bottles for this trip.
5. We intend to arrive back to school at 3.50pm (traffic permitting). Once we get off of the coach we will walk all of the children back into the classroom so that I can dismiss the children at the gate as normal to ensure all children are safely with their adults.
Any questions about the trip please do ask one of the Year One team. We look forward to a really exciting trip - we are sure the children will thoroughly enjoy it!
Due to coach availability we have had to book our trip for the same day as the phonics meeting. The meeting has now been rearranged to Thursday 1st November 9am in the hall.
Further to my notes regarding homework I just want to clear up a few points about number fact cards.
1. Number fact tests will happen on a 1 to 1 basis on a Friday morning (if the children are ready to be tested they've been told to put their card on my chair in the morning).
2. You do not need to record anything on the card. We will tick off in school when they have achieved Bronze, Silver or Gold.
3. You do not have to record when your children has practised at home. Their progress with their knowledge of number facts (and achievement of bronze, silver and gold certificates) will show me they have been practising.
4. All children need to start with the story of 2 and progress in order.
5. Children need to have a 'rapid recall' of the facts e.g. when we are working on the story of 3 we would simply say 3 and... 2 and... and children need to quickly fill in the missing number.
6. Bronze = facts in order, silver = in a random order, gold = subtraction.
I hope this clears up any confusion.
Please see the homework section of this page to see the Year One homework for the Autumn term. The format is the same as they had in Reception except this year we have introduced a ‘Highly commended’ award which will take into account the effort that a child has put into their homework even if they have not completed all of the activities required to receive a bronze, silver or gold award.
I have uploaded a homework tracker which can be completed each week to help spread out the homework. It is not compulsory - just there to be used if it helps.
The children will have number fact cards and will bring them home with their homework books. An explanation of them can be found in the homework section.
Children will have spellings to learn. As this is their first term learning spellings I have set 6 spellings to learn over a 2 week period. I will do a very informal test once a fortnight so I can see progress.
If you have any questions about homework please ask.
Just a couple of messages...
1. Please can you ensure that all cardigans and jumpers are clearly labelled. We have lots without any names in them.
2. I have sent home the children's reading books tonight. Unfortunately we do not have any zippy wallets in school so I have shown the children how to put their books inside the reading record and hopefully they will manage!
We had a lovely first day in Year One today. The children were extremely well behaved and are getting into the flow of Year One life! A few things cropped up today that I just wanted to clarify...
1. Morning procedures
I have discussed with the children today that in the mornings I would like them to line up in the Year 2 playground behind our lunch trolley (we practised this morning). I will be there from 8.40. I have told the children that they need to give you hugs and kisses goodbye before they line up with all their bags, coats etc. Once the bell goes I will walk the children to our classroom. Please can you refrain from following us up the path as this cuts the children off in the line and we run the risk of the line getting broken up. Can you please follow towards the gate once all the children are in front. If you have any messages that you wish to pass on e.g. your child is going home with Aunty, please can you write this on the clipboard on the Year 1 trolley. A member of the Year One team will read the board when they take the register over at 9am. If you arrive after we have walked into class then you can let your child in the gate at the Reception outdoor area.
2. Book bags
A number of children came into school with large backpacks today. Our cloakrooms are very small and get full very quickly with PE kits, coats, hats, scarves etc so we therefore store children's book bags in the children's trays. It would be really helpful if the children could use smaller bags; the book bags given to them by 'Friends Association' last year would be ideal.
3. Wellie boots
Children no longer need to have wellie boots stored at school permanently. If we have a lesson coming up that we would need wellies for I will put a note on here for them to be sent into school for the lesson.
That's the main points for now! I look forward to seeing you at our Year One meeting on Friday (2:45pm in the Studio). If you are unable to make the meeting please do not worry, I will put all notes of points raised on this class page.
Music with Mrs Bowerman
Art/DT with Mrs Brassington
|PE (pm)||PE (am)|
Show and Tell (pm)
|Book changing for Red group||Book changing for Blue, Green and Yellow groups||Book changing for Red group||Book changing for Blue, Green and Yellow groups|
Show and tell timetable
14.09.18 Red and Blue group
|Something you did/somewhere you went over the summer holiday|
|21.09.18 Green and Yellow group||Something you did/somewhere you went over the summer holiday|
|28.09.18 Red and Blue group ||Something to do with our theme of London|
|05.10.18 Green and Yellow group||Something to do with our theme of London|
|12.10.18 Red and Blue group||Something you enjoy doing outside of school|
|02.11.18 Green and Yellow group||Something you enjoy doing outside of school|
|09.11.18 Red and Blue group||A photo of a friend or family member who is special to you|
16.11.18 Green and Yellow group
|A photo of a friend or family member who is special to you|
|23.11.18 Red and Blue group||Something you are proud of|
|30.11.18 Green and Yellow group||Something you are proud of|
|07.12.18 Red and Blue group||Free choice|
|14.12.18 Green and Yellow group||Free choice|